Jeremy is a musician and Bridget is an artist. Jeremy likes motorbikes, Bridget doesn't really care much for them. Jeremy and Bridget got married, Bridget said "Let's go to Alice Springs on a motorbike for our honeymoon." Jeremy said "ALRIGHT!"


Saturday, October 29, 2011

Jeremy: Pennies make pounds. Apparently.

We seem to be doing very short days at the moment, a product of having numb bottoms and there being so much to see I think. We keep telling each other about how soon we're going to be having to break into the big days, no more of this 150kms business! It seems crazy, but I guess when there's just nowhere to stop and nothing to see it will be much easier, and we won't be feeling like we're passing by things we should be seeing. It's very hard to work out what's worth seeing and what's not worth the time (or money) but you can't do it all I guess! And all your short distances add up to a big trip in the end anyway.
I've been having problems with my damn sleeping bag, it seems to drop more feathers than it holds in! It is a very nice warm bag, but it is quite old now (25 years or so I think) and I think its having trouble keeping it together. Consequently every night in the tent has been an itchy-eyed, runny-nose-sneezy-blocked-face nightmare until I relented and started taking tablets. Last night's sleep was bliss, breathing through one unblocked nostril! Maybe tonight I'll get two? It seems to be starting to irritate my skin now though too, all these little feathers poking me in the night. Beware all of you the curse of the ageing old (sleeping) bag!
We met a nice bloke at the cinema in beachport last night who gave us some tips on distances and places to stop on the way up to alice springs. It seems like the bike's fuel range should be fine for pretty well all the distances between stops except one which should be very close which is glendambo to coober pedy, a distance of 254kms. As I said, this will be close, but we got 247km out of it a few days ago and part of that was up the huge hill from skene's creek to colac so we should be fine. Good old norman! I'm finding it very hard to fault our 1997 honda shadow ace at the moment, it just hauls along wiyh no complaints. I think 2 people and all our gear is pushing it's limits, but's handling the task at the moment beautifully. 110 kph? Bring it on.
Our careful money counting goes on,  and we seem to be doing very well actually! The odd treat here and there, but mostly we've been sensible. Here's quick pictire of btidget and I on the 772 meter long pier at beachport, (the longest in south australia) what a lovely town!

No comments: